Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A funny sleep deprivation story

I'm (finally) putting the finishing touches on Bennett's baby book and came across this story from when he was just a few days old.  Enjoy.


Dear Bennett,
As you might have heard, brand new moms are extremely sleep deprived.  This occasionally has some funny consequences.  The first week you were home I would let you sleep in our bed after nursing you during the night if I was too tired to take you back to your bassinet.  On this particular night I heard you start to cry so I immediately sat up and picked you up where you were lying in bed next to me.  I wanted to quiet you before you could wake up Daddy. I flipped you around to cradle you in my arms, but you were so wiggly!  I was half asleep and terrified of dropping you since I didn't feel like I had a good grip on you, so I held you tighter and tighter until you stopped fighting and were still.  As I rocked you back and forth, I started to wake up a little more and could make out your outline in the night.  I saw two little triangles on your head and was confused - we had a little red hat for you with two triangle ears but I didn't remember putting it on you to sleep in.  Then as my eyes continued to adjust to the darkness, I suddenly realized I wasn't looking at you in your hat, I was looking at. . .

. . .Pocket!  She was staring at me confused, belly-up in my arms where I had been cradling her.  You were across the room in your bassinet, sleeping quietly.  I must have dreamed the crying! I had startled Pocket by picking her up out of a sound sleep and flipping her onto her back, holding her tighter and tighter until she stopped struggling!  Poor puppy! 
Final

4 comments:

Lacee said...

Oh my gosh- SO FUNNY!

Jordan & Rhonda said...

That is the best story I have heard all day! haha oh the things that go on in a new mothers mind.

Lis said...

That's funny! I remember hearing phantom crying in my sleep too!

Nicole said...

I LOVE this. So funny. I'm glad that Pocket stopped struggling, what a good puppy.